Nowhere to Run - Chapter 19


It’s good to be behind the wheel again, thought Michael as he drove them deep into the heart of Kentucky.  Knowing they had just missed the Team by hours, possibly minutes in that last town made him want to put as many miles as he could between them and Barney Fife. If only he could see the look on Barney's face when Janerone got there, it would have made it all worthwhile.
While Evie dozed beside him Michael formulated a plan. He wasn’t alone anymore. The woman beside him forced him to realize running was no longer an option. The only way out of this was to find a way to take down The Team. All those solitary hours lying in that jail cell had given him plenty of time to think about it and he might finally have a solution to their problems.
Evie opened her eyes and reached out to touch his arm, sliding her fingers up to his shoulder and resting there.
“What time is it?” She asked with a yawn.
“It’s getting late. We’ll be in Tennessee in another hour or so. We’ll stop there for the night.”
Evie smiled at the thought of another night in his arms. “Sounds good.”
She had washed the heavy make up off at the last rest station and changed back into jeans and a sweatshirt. It was good to have the real Evie back again.  
Michael took a deep breath, bracing himself. He didn’t think Evie was going to like his plan, but he had to try.
“You know, we can’t go on like we are now.”
The smile faded from her face as she nodded. “I know, but what else can we do?”
“I can move faster if I’m on my own. Not to mention the danger you’re in just being with me.”
Evie’s heart constricted. What was he talking about? He didn’t want her with him anymore? She stared at the road ahead. 
“I want you in a safe place.” Michael continued. “Just for a little while.”
Evie didn’t answer and he watched her. If she didn't go for this plan he didn't know what to do. The only thing he did know was that he wasn't going to let her keep running like this. It was no way to live. And she deserved so much more.
They were on a long stretch of highway cutting straight through Kentucky. Nothing but kudzu covered trees lining their way.
     “I know these people in Mexico.” Michael said. “They’re a great couple. Rafe and Isabel. You’ll like them.”
     “Mexico?”
     “You okay with that?”
     “You want to leave the United States?” It kind of made sense, she guessed. If they were out of the country it could be harder for the Team to find them. “How do you know these people?”
     “Just some friends. I helped them out once.” Michael glanced at her, “I was hoping you could stay with them.”
     “Just me? What about you?” Evie didn’t like the way this conversation was going. After all they had been through together, after she had sprung him from jail, now he wants to dump her on some friends?
     Ignoring her question Michael plunged forward, hoping to convince her this was for the best. “They are real nice people. I think you’ll like them a lot.  It's a good place for you to lay low while I…”
     "While you what?" Evie demanded.
     "It's just that I have somethings to do and it's better if I do them alone."
     "Things like what?"
     Michael hesitated.  He didn't want to tell her what he was thinking, yet. The rest of his plan was just a glimmer of an idea.  Pulling it off would take a minor miracle. But he couldn't do anything when she was with him. It was way too dangerous.  
"You'll be okay there and…" he could see she was getting upset. ”I'll come back."
     "You'll come back?" She looked at him, but his eyes were locked on the road. "Back from where?"
     Unable to believe he really thought she would go for this Evie crossed her arms over her chest and slunk down in the seat.
     "It will only be for a little while. They are nice people. You'll like them."
     “You keep saying that. What you’re not saying is where you’re going?”
     “I can’t say.”
     “Can’t? Or Won’t?”
     Michael shook his head. “Please understand.”
     “After everything, you’re just going to dump me off.”
     “I’m keeping you safe.”
     “While you do what?” Evie turned in her seat to face him. “Tell me the truth.”
     He couldn’t answer her. Instead he said, “Maybe we should stop for the night.”
     “Fine.” Evie blew out a frustrated breath and stared out the window.
      Michael took the next exit and drove for another hour, winding his way through back roads and towns too small to make the map. He found a small motel in the town of Beaver Creek, right on the boarder of Tennessee.
After they carried their meager possessions into the room Michael offered to go to the store.
“Is there anything you want? I was going to get us another change of clothes, maybe snacks?”
“No.” She answered. “There is nothing I want from you.”
“Evie—“
“I’m going to take a shower”
“Are you sure you don’t want anything?”
“No.” And the bathroom door slammed.
Michael stared at the door. She just needs time, he thought. She’s a smart woman, she’ll come around. It was the most logical thing to do, so after she thinks about it for awhile, she’ll have to agree.
     With only one small grocery store in town, Michael made quick work gathering the needed supplies. When he returned to the room, Evie was gone.
"Evie?" Michael called, flicking on the lights. His arms filled with grocery bags. "Evie?"
No answer.
"Evie? Evie are you here?"
Nothing.
Quelling the urge to panic, Michael dumped the bags on the table by the door and drew his Glock. He checked the bathroom. Empty.
"Damn! Why did I leave her alone?”
Turning around to head for the door, he heard the click of the lock. He raised the Glock as Evie walked in. She took one look at the gun in his hand and let out a little scream.
"Jesus!" he swore in relief, lowering the gun. "Evie, where did you go? You gave me a scare. I thought, oh God, what I thought."
“So, you pull a gun on me?”
“I had no idea where you were!”
"I needed some fresh air." She pointed to the pad of paper by the telephone. "See, I left you a note."
"I'm sorry," Michael glanced in the direction of the note, and tucked the gun away. "I guess I'm still a little jumpy."
     “Guess what?” she said, a bit too brightly.
     Michael looked at her suspiciously. There was something in her voice that put him on guard. "What?"
     “I got a job.”
     “A job?” he repeated in disbelief.
     Forcing a smile, Evie nodded. “A waitress job at the little bar two blocks from here. It’s not the greatest place, but the guy agreed to pay me under the table so there’s no paper work involved.”
     “We leave for Mexico tomorrow.” Michael reminded her.
     “No, you leave for Mexico. I’m not going.”
     His brow creased with confusion. What was she talking about? After all they had been through, he finally finds her a safe place to lay low for a while and she pulls this?
     “Why?” It was the only question he could form as he watched Evie pull off her sweatshirt and flop on the bed.    
“I’m not about to be dumped down in Mexico with your friends.”
“I’m not dumping you.” Michael couldn’t believe she thought that.
"Yes you are. And I'm not going."
     “Evie you don’t mean that. I swear I’m not just dumping you. We can’t be sure we lost these guys. You have no idea how ruthless they are.”
     Evie laughed. She tried to make it sound light but it came out like a half-hearted, sick to her stomach type bark. She was trying real hard to make this easy, but she couldn’t stop the tears that burned behind her eyes from spilling forward.  When her shoulders began to tremble she wrapped her arms around herself as if cold and looked away.
     Michael went over to sit next to her and put an arm around her shoulder. “Evie, don’t cry. Mexico is beautiful.”
     She sniffed loudly and winced at the unlady like sound. It was getting harder and harder to get through this without falling completely apart. If he didn't care enough about her to keep her with him then she was going to build her own life. She had done it once, she could do it again. The only difference; this time she was in love.
Bracing one hand on his chest to push him away, she tried to explain. 
     “Michael, Dimitri, what ever your name is... I know what these men are about. But I can’t keep running. I don’t want to be left alone in Mexico while you—do whatever. I can take care of myself. I think I already proved that. I was doing it before you showed up and I can do it again.”
     “Evie, if the thought of going to Mexico scares you I just want to say that I know my way around down there. Rafe is ex-military. He can protect you.”
     "That’s not it." She stood up, trying to put some space between them.
     "Evie, I don't know what you're so upset about. Mexico will be nice and more important, you’ll be safe."
     "Aren't you listening?” her voice rose, “I don't care about Mexico!"
     "But Evie…"
     "I just got out from under one man's thumb and I won't be put under another!" She hadn't meant to blurt that out like that.  She hadn't told him enough about Scott and she didn't want to explain now.
     Michael stood to face her. "Evie, I'm not that kind of man."
     “It's, it's not that," she hated that she wanted to cry again, but struggled to explain. "It's just that now, now and always, I want to be the one who runs my life. I have to be the one who says whether I stay or go. And who I go with."
     Evie waited. This was his cue to step up and say he really wanted to be with her. He said he loved her once and she wanted it to be true. Her chin trembled as she said, “Your plan is to dump me there. Make me stay with you’re your friends. While you go God knows where. After the other night and all we’ve been through, I thought we were partners in this mess.”
     “I’m not trying to dump you anywhere.”  Michael tried to explain, “I want you somewhere safe.”
     “I’m safe with you.” Evie said sadly, wiping her tears on her sleeve. She should have known better than to let herself fall in love with a man like Michael Connors.  He had been running for a long time. It was what he was used to. She wouldn’t be able to change that.
     “Evie, it's not that simple...”
     She cut him off, “It is. Are we partners in this or are you my keeper?”
     “I’m trying to explain.”
     “That’s not an answer.” Evie turned to head to the door. “I’m going for a walk. It’s kind of stuffy in here.”
     Nodding, Michael watched her go. He didn’t know what to say. He wasn’t real sure why she wanted to stay here of all places. This little one horse, back woods town in the middle of nowhere. But he thought he knew. She didn’t trust him anymore. After all the trouble they’d been through in the past few days she was probably sick of it.
Leaving her here, alone, in a town where she had no friends or support wasn’t going to happen. He wasn’t leaving her and that made them sitting ducks. Michael picked up the glass ashtray from the dresser and hurled it across the room. There was a satisfying crash as it hit the door.

Comments

Popular Posts